If you own a computer (PC) and want some quick and easy tips to boost its performance, you have come to the right place. Welcome to The TechUpShot Blog. Today we will uncover 10 Quick and Easy Tips to Speed Up Your Computer. Without further ado, lets get started and get that PC fast as flash.
Restart Your PC Regularly
Restarting your PC can help solve many issues and it also speeds up your computer. Many programs and processes tend to stack up with time when you keep your PC running. Restarting your PC regularly shuts down these processes and thus improves your Performance. So make sure to regularly restart your PC and you will feel the speed right from Day 1. Moving on to the next tip.
Disable Startup Programs
Startup Programs are the programs which automatically start when you turn on your computer. These programs delay your startup time by seconds or even minutes depending on how many programs you have set up. Startup Programs can also make your PC slower by occupying RAM and using up your CPU. So disabling the startup programs you don’t use will immediately speed up your computer.
To disable Startup Programs, just follow the below steps:
- Open your task manager by pressing Ctrl+Shift+Esc
- Click on the ‘Startup apps’ tab.
- Select and Disable the programs you don’t need at the startup.
Or you can do it by this alternative method:
- Open your Settings app.
- Click on ‘Apps’
- Click on ‘Startups’
- Toggle off the switches of the programs you don’t need at the startup.
(These methods are for Windows, you can search how to do it on a Mac or Linux if you own one.)
Delete or Move Unnecessary Files
The files you keep on your computer take up disk space and directly affect the performance of your computer if the disk becomes too occupied. So don’t keep the files you don’t need on your computer. You can delete them or move the files like pictures, videos and text to another storage like an SD Card or External Hard Drive.
To move your files to and external storage, follow these steps:
- Go to ‘File Explorer’
- Select the files and folders you want to move.
- Press Ctrl+X (or) Right click and select ‘Cut’ from the options. This will copy the files you want to move and delete them from the computer when you paste them in external storage.
- Connect your External storage and open the folder in it where you want to move the files. You can also create a new folder.
- Press Ctrl+V (or) Right click and select ‘Paste’ from the options. This will paste the copied files in the open folder and also delete it from the original source.
- Check if all the files were moved properly and you are done.
Check for Updates
If there are any pending updates for your Operating Software, downloading them can instantly speed up your computer. Software updates often include bug fixes and optimizations which make your computer operate more smoothly.
To check for any Software Updates, follow the below steps:
- Open the Settings app by clicking on the Start button and selecting “Settings“.
- Click on “Update & Security“.
- Under “Windows Update“, click on “Check for updates“.
- Click on the Apple icon in the top-left corner of the screen and select “System Preferences“.
- Click on “Software Update“
- Check for updates.
Scan for Viruses and Malware
Viruses and Malware can seriously affect your computer. They can corrupt your files, steal your data and cause system crashes too. And it is quite hard to know if you accidentally install one as they can enter your computer in a number of ways. So, regularly run scans for Viruses and Malwares on your computer.
To scan for Viruses or Malware:
- Use an Antivirus software like McAfee or Norton.
- Use a Third-Party Malware Scanner
- Use a Bootable Scanner.
Defragment your Hard-Drive
When you save a file on your computer, it is broken up into small pieces and then stored up in your computer. This helps in accessing the files more quickly. However, as time passes, the files might get fragmented into too many pieces and get scattered all over the place on the disk. Due to this, instead of the files loading quicker, they load even slower, hence slowing down your PC.
To defragment your Hard-Drive follow these steps:
- Open the start menu and search ‘Defragment and Optimize Drives’
- Click on the “Defragment and Optimize Drives” app.
- Select the drive that you want to defragment and click on the “Optimize” button.
Add More RAM
The RAM (Random Access Memory) or Memory is the place where the programs which are currently being run on the computer are stored. The RAM temporarily stores the programs and the CPU runs them from here. When there is not enough RAM, quite simply there is not enough place for your programs to run. Adding more RAM will give your PC a great boost and make it faster. It will definitely speed up your computer by a lot.
Optimize your Browser
Many may not know this but your Web Browser continuously runs in the background and takes up CPU power and RAM even when you are not using it. Also, by disabling unnecessary add-ons and extensions and clearing your cache and cookies you will clear up your resources and improve the performance of your PC.
Here are some things you can do to Optimize your Browser:
- Disable unnecessary add-ons and extensions in your browser.
- Clear cache and cookies regularly as they accumulate over time.
- Use private browsing for websites where you don’t need your data to be stores.
- Use a lightweight browser. Brave, Opera and Vivaldi are some good options.
- Update your Browser to the latest version as it often includes bug fixes and optimizations.
Use a Solid State Drive (SSD)
If you are still using a Traditional Hard Drive, you should highly consider switching to a Solid State Drive (SSD). An SSD is much faster than a Traditional Hard Drive and will give your PC a humongous boost. This is because while in a Traditional Hard Drive the data is physically read by a needle, in an SSD there is no need for such a process and therefore the data can be accessed much quicker. If you want to speed up your computer, this will be a sure hit.
Upgrade your Computer
If your computer does not speed up even after applying all the tips and tricks given in the article, it may be time for you to upgrade. Switch to a new computer and enjoy the speed.
And that does it for today’s post. The 10 Quick and Easy Tips to Speed Up Your Computer. Don’t forget to subscribe to our Blog so that you don’t miss another useful article like this. Comment down if there is a topic you want an article on.
Hope this was helpful.